INCOMPATIBLE Prologue.


Alrighty... here it goes (I sped, I followed too closely... Oh wait, wrong thing.)
Anywho here's my opening page and the prologue!
ENJOY! [:







The moon and the stars await up above,
A breeze whispers with soft, tender love.
We’re waiting for you to open your eyes,
So that you can see the clouds, sun and skies.
The valleys are green, the oceans are blue,
The flowers and mountains are waiting for you.
We want you to climb high,
Long, swift and far,
We know that you will,
Be a bright shining star.
Let the rain pour, let the snow fall,
We’re going to be with you, to fight through it all.
One day we will walk,
Hand-in-hand through the sand,
One day we will talk,
Face-to-face on this land.
-Anonymous



PROLOGUE.



Sweat drips down my face and I hear the tearing before I feel it.  My heart is beating out of my chest.  The screaming in my mind finally escapes from my mouth. 

“When will it stop?” I grunt with each breath, having finally burst free from the drug-induced haze.

“Almost done,” the doctor next to me says.  “You’re strong.  It’ll be over in no time.”

“The head’s through.  Shoulders next.” The voice of the second doctor sounds.  He has disappeared entirely from view; obscured by the gown draped across my outstretched, bent legs.

“This is the final difficult part, continue breathing like we practiced.”

I pace my breathing and focus on what I hope are the final pushes.

“She’s out!” the second doctor says as the pressure vanishes and the involuntary spasms cease.  He hastily wraps her in a blanket.  I catch only a flash of startling dark green eyes and bright red hair before she disappears into the folds of the sheet.  


The doctor rushes through the doors, out into the cleaning room that sits next door.  I hear her wailing for only a moment.  Her muffled screams of life come to an abrupt halt as the door slams shut behind him.


I don’t given myself a chance to catch my breath.  “How is she?” I wheeze, looking to the doctor next to me for confirmation. 

“I don’t know,” the doctor replies sternly.  Her look has changed from encouragement to the stony expression most wear in my presence now-a-days.  The pregnancy was not what everyone disapproved of; many become pregnant during trials as they often bring together compatible couples.  The fact that my baby was the product of an incredibly incompatible match was inexcusable. 

She begins fiddling with the gadgets attached to my bed.  I watch as a slightly yellow liquid flows through the tubes leading to my arm.  A warming sensation runs through the spot at which the IV is nuzzled under my skin, then spreads to the rest of my body, delivering what can only be some type of pain reliever.  A strong one at that.  Even before the tube empties I can feel the effects of the medicine, a numbness spreading through me.  The medicine doesn’t dull my mind any further, or the pain in my heart.

“The well-being of the child is not of your concern.” She continues as her fingers glide over buttons nonchalantly. “You were aware that children who are the product of incompatible individuals are unacceptable.  Not only have you brought harm upon your reputation, but this child will forever suffer because of its deformities.  Incompatibility is not some silly joke.  It protects future generations from abnormalities and deficiencies.”

I look up at her, a defiant expression crossing my face.  I knew this already, I had been hearing it for the past six months.   What I didn’t understand was how one poor decision in my previous nineteen years of life could label me entirely unfit for motherhood.

“I want to see my daughter.” I reply, reciprocating her stern expression.  I move my arms behind me to prop myself up. She turns to watch my movements but does nothing to stop me.   “I get it, I screwed up.  The damage to my reputation has been sufficient punishment, and the father of my child abandoned me.  Isn’t that enough?”  I am fully upright now; my eyes even with hers.  I lean forward, inching my nose to within a few centimeters of her face.  I hope my words sting her the way hers had stung me, no matter how inaccurate some of mine may be.  “Bring me my daughter.”

“Must I repeat myself young lady?  The child is no longer your concern.  Because of your irresponsible behaviors you will not have access to your child’s information.  Bear in mind that the abnormalities your child suffers leave us no choice but to... relocate it.”  She hesitates before uttering the last words.

“Relocate?!” I yell back.  “Relocate?  What does that even mean?”

She takes a step back, startled at my outburst, and returns her fingers to the dials next to my bed.  Her voice quiets considerably, she seems almost ashamed.  “We’re sending her somewhere else.”

“There is nowhere else!” This didn’t even begin to make sense.  Then I remember.  The orb.  The perfect circle far in the dark, open abyss.  What I viewed only by accident.  The only elsewhere she could be referring to.

The nursery rhyme my mother taught me floods my mind, the one I recited to my baby girl.  She’s going to the place the poem described.  The orb again pops into my mind's eye.  Maybe I was right.  Maybe they were one in the same. 

Before I can ask, the doctor pushes another button on my bed and this time a cold sensation sweeps through my arm, spreading slowly through my body. 

“Everything will be okay.  Sleep now, you need time to recuperate.”  The coolness reaches my extremities and my fingers begin to tingle.

As my vision starts to blur and my mind fades, the second doctor returns, no longer holding my baby. 

“You actually mentioned relocating to her?” The second doctor asks angrily.

“I’m sorry sir,” she replies.  "She won’t remember when she wakes up.”  Her confidence is only a façade; I can see it in her quivering hands.

“Fine.” He says, turning to the sink.  He rolls up his sleeves; the water that flows off his hands is red. “That’s your one screw up.  Do it again and I’ll relocate you too.”


Everything goes black, again.

Comments

Popular Posts